Bare Metal Recovery
Resetting a Windows RT device using a recovery image
Windows Media Builder provides an alternative to the original or extracted recovery images listed on this page and is capable of producing updated installation media.
Download the required Bare Metal Recovery image from the list below.
The recovery images below are official downloads provided by the manufacturer of the device.
- Windows RT 8 Surface RT recovery image instructions.pdf - Microsoft.com / Archive.org Surface RT 8.0 Japan.zip - Microsoft.com / Archive.org Surface RT 8.0 Asia.zip - Microsoft.com / Archive.org Surface RT 8.0 North America.zip - Microsoft.com / Archive.org Surface RT 8.0 CEE1.zip - Microsoft.com / Archive.org Surface RT 8.0 Mediterranean.zip - Microsoft.com / Archive.org Surface RT 8.0 China.zip - Microsoft.com / Archive.org Surface RT 8.0 SE Asia.zip - Microsoft.com / Archive.org Surface RT 8.0 Euro.zip - Microsoft.com / Archive.org Surface RT 8.0 Taiwan.zip - Microsoft.com / Archive.org Surface RT 8.0 Nordic.zip - Microsoft.com / Archive.org
The recovery images below were obtained by creating a recovery drive on devices with existing installations, they are not official downloads from the manufacturer. Third party images should be treated as untested and are provided only if no manufacturer download is available.
- Windows RT 8 ASUS_VivoTab_RT_TF600T_Windows_RT_8.0 - Penguins.win / Archive.org ASUS_VivoTab_RT_TF600TL_TG_Windows_RT_8.0 - Penguins.win / Archive.org
- Windows RT 8.1 Nokia_Lumia_2520_Windows_RT_8.1 - Penguins.win / Archive.org Nokia_Lumia_2520_ATT_Windows_RT_8.1 - Penguins.win / Archive.org
This will permanently delete any data stored on the USB drive.
- 1.Format a USB drive as FAT32.
- 2.Right click on the downloaded file and select "Extract All..."
- 3.Select a destination for the extracted files.
- 4.Click "Extract".
Selecting and formatting USB drive
Extracting Bare Metal Recovery Image to USB drive
Expected contents of USB drive after extraction (Surface 2), may vary depending on recovery files in use.
Windows Recovery Environment
This will permanently delete ALL data stored on the device. This includes any operating system installation, software and any personal data.
- 2.Wait until the above screen is displayed.
- 3.Select keyboard layout.
- 4.Select "Troubleshoot".
- 5.Select "Reset your PC".
- 6.Select target OS to be replaced if there is one, this step won't appear if the eMMC has been cleared before starting.
- 7.Select "Next".
- 8.Select "Yes, repartition the drives".
- 9.Select drive erasure level.
- 10.Select "Reset".
- 11.Once complete the device will reboot, follow onscreen instructions to complete the Windows Out of Box Experience (OOBE).
If the recovery fails after it has started try the following steps:
If the USB drive does not boot on the target device try the following steps: